Louin is located in northeast Jasper County, Mississippi seven miles north of Bay Springs on State Highway 15. The town has a total area of 6.1 square miles and has an elevation of 378 feet. The population of Louin at the time of the 2000 census was 339. Louin was incorpoated July 29, 1904.
Louin, Mississippi, in Jasper county, is 56 miles E of Jackson, Mississippi (center to center) and 154 miles N of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Louin began as an intersection of two county roads where a trading center later developed. In 1890 a post office was opened and named Louin for Louin Ishee. The town was incorporated in 1894 and in 1906 the railroad was built through the town
TOWN OFFICIALS: BOARD OF ALDERMEN:
Louin Town Hall
From the History of Jasper County, Louin is an incorporated post hamlet 16 miles NS of Paulding and 4 miles SW of Montrose. Its a station on the MG & Kansas City Railroad. It has good general stores, a sawmill, a shingle mill, a church, a good school, a bank (est 1906), population 1900, 25, in 1906, 300. Named for the postmaster's son, on the old Jackson Highway. In the early days Henry Barber built a log church there and named it Mt. Vernon. People, Ishee, Ball, Smith, Bassett, Long, Grayson, Parker, Lightsey, Anderson, Perry, Leech, Land, Boyd, Fanning, Lightsey, Carr, Hankins, Royal, Wilkerson, Wilkins, James, Morgan, Dyess, Wall, Harris, McGee, Tally, Halford, McInnis, Kenedy, Gardner, Lewis, Waldrup, Simmons, Phillips, Dawkins, Jones, Ainsworth, Boutwell, McMullan, Buchanan, Rogers.
Louin Volunteer Fire Department